This project is read-only.

let's get it run - thank you for some help

Topics: User Forum
Jun 21, 2006 at 1:30 AM
Hello guys,

I started testing your tool. I did a build and got a little error :

Error 1 The code subdirectory '/SqlWebAdminCS/App_Code/VB/' does not exist. D:\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\SQLWebTools\src\sqltools\SqlWebAdminCS\Web.Config 89

But this was simple to fix: I just created the folder VB in App_Code.

Now I tried the application (sqlwebtools.orkos.com) and got this error:

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 80: <compilation defaultLanguage="C#" debug="true">

Line 81: <assemblies>

Line 82: <add assembly="Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845DCD8080CC91"/>

Line 83: <add assembly="Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845DCD8080CC91"/>

Line 84: <add assembly="Microsoft.SqlServer.SqlEnum, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845DCD8080CC91"/>

Source File: C:\mySites\SqlWebAdminCS\web.config Line: 82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

This is on a VPS (Windows 2003). Please let me know what kind of change I should perform to get this project running (for the moment the setup page is not setup).

Looking forward to see this running!

Regards,
Fabian

PS This is the firs post in this forum - I'm honoured ;-)
Jun 21, 2006 at 1:54 AM
The complete setup instructions are on the site now. Please check to see if that helps with your issues.
Jun 21, 2006 at 6:54 PM
Hey Fabian. Thanks for getting the discussion started in the forums :)

Tha assembly it's asking for is the SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) library. Web Admin uses it to talk to SQL Servers.

Do you have SQL installed on the box you're running Web Admin on? You're going to need to have SMO on the box.
Jun 23, 2006 at 9:16 PM
Hi Danwinn and edlehman,

Now I got it to work :-). I did not find SMO to download so I installed SQL-Server Express.

I think the what you'll help most is that I tell you my difficulties instead of solving them on my own, so that you might see where you could add some more user guidance.

First I had an error as already reported because there was no folder VB in the App_Code.

Once I got on the login page I had difficulties to check in as 'sa' of the .\SQLExpress server. I suppose that the application is looking for 'sa' on localhost and not at .\SQLExpress?

So what I did is that I created a new user with "create a user account" as this seemed to me the most logical thing to do. After words I am not so sure about this. Because once I created the user account and I connected to an sql-db (mysqldb), I simply could see the db name 'mysqldb' and some very simple information in "Home" and "Administration", and that's it – no functionality was available.
Later I came back on it (after some eating to get forces :-), but I was not asked for the credentials to log on mysqldb. And now mysqldb is not listed on the tab "Home" and when I go on "My Account" or "Administration" I get an error :

Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.

Line 92: {
Line 93: string clearConnString = GetConnectionString();
Line 94: server = new Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server(new ServerConnection(new SqlConnection(clearConnString)));
Line 95: try
Line 96: {

(I continue in the next post because of character limit)
Jun 23, 2006 at 9:17 PM
So here I am. I suppose that I should have entered with the user 'sa' first as it is described in the word document – but as I said this did not work.

Let me know how I may continue to give you better feedback.

Regards,
Fabian

PS This forum is really too simple, no email feedback when someone answers a post and only 2000 characters per message, no edit possibility once a post is sent. They should have used CS for that or something of that kind ;-)
Jun 27, 2006 at 4:10 PM
It looks like your latest error is due to an old cookie. If you clear your cookies and start the application again, it should clear up.

Also, I agree it would be nice if these forums supported email alerts, but you can get an RSS feed for the site, which does give you some of the same capabilities.
Jun 27, 2006 at 9:24 PM
did anyone get this to work?

I'm using SQL 2005

I have IIS running on a different server than the SQL!

I'm not sure how to fix this.......I want to use the remote SQL server and not the express version?

is this possible???
Jun 30, 2006 at 4:41 PM
You can download SMO as a separate install from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/XMO, which will give the SMO libraries without installing SQL on the same box as the web app.